First World War Centenary

 

 The original village of Langstone has seen significant size change since the time of the First World War when the village and surrounding area had 63 homes and a population of a few hundred. As you would imagine most of the employment was in farming with working in the quarries, lime kilns, railway and forestry making up the balance.

Education for the area was mainly at the National Endowed School in Llandevaud which meant, due to its location, pupils from the surrounding villages had a long journey to make every day.

The number of households has risen significantly since 1914 and at the 100th anniversary of the commencement of the First World War numbered around 1500 with some 5000 residents.

Our Community Council, which is the successor to the original Langstone Parish Meetings, now also represents the villages of Llandevaud and Llanmartin.

When the First World War ended in November 1918 the dead were honoured with the construction, by public subscription, of monuments. Sadly, there is no separate monument to the fallen from our villages. We plan to construct a suitable monument to honour the fallen that we have discovered from our research. This memorial will not only commemorate the fallen from the First World War but will include the names inscribed on the World War Two memorial tablet in Langstone Village Hall, and have provision to include names from future conflicts should this, sadly, become necessary.

This monument will provide our community with a First World War heritage that currently does not exist.

Much more detailed information is being prepared so please return to this page.


       
Langstone Community Council is a Registered Partner in the Imperial War Museum Centenary Programme